- Summarise main points of an argument or discussion within their reading & make up own mind about issue/s.
- Compare between two texts
- Appreciate that people use bias in persuasive writing.
- Appreciate how two people may have a different view on the same event.
- Draw inferences and justify with evidence from the text.
- Vary voice for direct or indirect speech.
- Recognise clauses within sentences.
- Explain how and why a writer has used clauses to add information to a sentence.
- Use more than one source when carrying out research.
- Create a set of notes to summarise what has been read.
- Add phrases to make sentences more precise & detailed.
- Use range of sentence openers – judging the impact or effect needed.
- Begin to adapt sentence structure to text type.
- Use pronouns to avoid repetition.
- Indicate degrees of possibility using adverbs (e.g. perhaps, surely) or modal verbs (e.g. might, should, will).
- Use the following to indicate parenthesis:
- Use commas to clarify meaning or avoid ambiguity.
- Link clauses in sentences using a range of subordinating & coordinating conjunctions.
- Use verb phrases to create subtle differences (e.g. she began to run).
- Consistently organise into paragraphs.
- Link ideas across paragraphs using adverbials of time (e.g. later), place (e.g. nearby) and number (e.g. secondly).
- Write legibly, fluently and with increasing speed.
- Count forwards & backward with positive & negative numbers through zero.
- Count forwards/backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1,000,000.
- Compare & order numbers up to 1,000,000.
- Compare & order numbers with 3 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 1,000.
- Identify all multiples & factors, including finding all factor pairs.
- Use known tables to derive other number facts.
- Recall prime numbers up to 19.
- Recognise & use square numbers & cube numbers.
- Recognise PV of any number up to 1,000,000.
- Round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 or 100,000.
- Round decimals with 2dp to nearest whole number & 1dp.
- Add & subtract:
- Numbers with more than 4-digits using formal written method.
- Use rounding to check answers.
- 4-digits by 1-digit/ 2-digit
- Up to 4-digits by 1-digit
- Multiply & divide:
- Whole numbers & decimals by 10, 100 & 1,000
- Recognise & use thousandths.
- Recognise mixed numbers & improper fractions & convert from one to another.
- Multiply proper fractions & mixed numbers by whole numbers.
- Identify & write equivalent fractions.
- Solve time problems using timetables and converting between different units of time.